Michael Tsen's Saga
M
i
c
h
a
e
l

T
s
e
n

t
e
l
l
s

s
t
o
r
y

Sunday, October 05, 2008

R a c i s m - Not a problem until you talk about it !

Racism is not a problem until we talk about it.

When there are incidents, like someones are fighting, someone rob someone etc, its the problem we focus in.  So we would ask, why do you fight ?  why do you rob ?  Sometimes we even get funny questions like why do you let me hit you ?  Why do you let me rob you ?

But when you talk about the incident, you may generalize.  Every communication has some form of generalization and assumptions.  And that is the nature of one's personality.  Unfortunately or fortunate in other times, no 2 persons in this world have the same personality.  So your generalized message will be understood and felt differently in the ear of the listener.  Generalization about race, color becomes sensitive especially if it is not the listener's own race and color.  A joke, a simple expression may become heard as a racist statement.  Like wise, a racist statement can be heard as a joke.

So is the speaker responsible for the effect or should the listener ? 

In an ideal world, before we can determine who is responsible for an effect, we share 50-50.  So the next time I accuse you as a racist, I am 50% responsible for that hostile environment as well.

Yes I talked about race here but this is not racism right ?  You may ask why, thats because I am not talking about any incident here ... :)


My Favourite MTV of all Time


1 comment:

** OUT OF TRACK 思 想 出 軌 ** said...

I had the similar sharing in my blog - everyone has different perspective... but we cant deny the great works done by this group of great people. I appreciate it as a piece of art instead.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...