Michael Tsen's Saga
M
i
c
h
a
e
l

T
s
e
n

t
e
l
l
s

s
t
o
r
y

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Return Trip


George Mallory might not be known by many unless you are an Everest enthusiast.

He was one of the early Everest climbers. At his 3rd attempt to conquer the summit, he went missing instead. And the missing lasted 75 years until someone found his frozen body.

Climbing mountains 100 years ago is very different than now. There weren't much high tech equipments available. Mallory did use oxygen tank at the peak but I guess that's pretty much about it. But it seems that he didn't mind at all. He loved the cold.


One of the main reasons why he was famous in the climbing world is the way he answered a question, "Why do you want to climb Mount. Everest ?"

"Because Its there."

After his body was found, it has been a controversy if he had reached the summit. Many of his family and friends claimed that he did based on what was still on his body and what was not. However, no clear proof is found at the summit that he had been there yet.

Among the hefty arguments, one of them stand out.

"It doesn't matter if he reached the top,
if he doesn't make it back,
it is not a complete journey."


It strikes me at my bullseye. The last time I climbed Mount. Kinabalu, I didn't reserve any energy to climb down. As a result, I suffered greatly. I was focusing so much on how hard it is to climb up that I totally ignore the way down. I was thinking if I could make it to the top, what else would it be that I cannot do ? If it wasn't the guide the authority forced to tag along with me, which I strongly resent at that time, I must have spent a night at the summit for sure.

Life is a journey itself, while you are aiming high and climbing up ... have you given a little thought on how you would like to come 'down' ?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...