Michael Tsen's Saga
M
i
c
h
a
e
l

T
s
e
n

t
e
l
l
s

s
t
o
r
y

Friday, February 05, 2010

Migration and Immigrants

I am a middle age Malaysian. 2nd generation Chinese born and raised in Malaysia. That means my grand father came to Malaysia from China. Many of my friends are like me - raising a middle income family. I happen to have many foreign friends working in this country too. I can't help to notice how people move in and out of our land.


Most of my friends have migrated, are migrating and planning to migrate. Almost all of them are happy with the new environment. There are always some minor draw backs (usually home sick, emotion etc.) but almost always the purpose of their migration reassure them they have made the right decisions, indeed they are. The new lands are safer and has better living standard.

Most of my foreign friends turned out to stay in this country for good. They find here safer and has better living standard. Sometimes they find themselves home sick but the excitement in new environment quickly settle them in.


Almost every single bad and good thing I heard from my friends about the new land, I heard it too from my foreign friends about our own land. Every curse my friends made about Malaysia, I heard it too from my foreign friends about their own countries.

Sometimes I wonder ... why do my friends disgust on my foreign friends while they are so much alike. My foreign friends are begging for fair treatment as much as my friends in their new lands.

I just hope one day I can just call all of them friends, without the word 'foreign' anymore ... because they are just the same ... Its just 2 different political locations.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...